Monday 4 June 2007

Uber Hello's

Hello’s - this is a long one but I'm a rambler...sorry in advance :)

I’m Cynthia and I’m primarily an artist who works with biotechnology (bioart) and sometimes electronic and digital technology. I have a dip and BA in Fine Arts, BA Hon in Media Society and Culture and am currently a provisional PhD student (Helen as supervisor...is there a theme here? Damn she’s good huh?! You know it!). I teach Internet Communications at Curtin Uni to bring in extra dollars and it's fun! I struggle with theory (having thought during fine art study that it can be shoved to the back a little :) but I guess that’s the unique thing about my work and allows me to have some decent questions about why things are the way the are – nothings a stupid question to me and nothing is a stupid idea

So, my thesis candidacy topic is always verging on something to do with Zombies and currently sits around an idea/question that cyborg as posterchild for posthuman (amongst others) theory has come to exclude some elements of technology (such as biotech) and that biotech born monsters like Zombies and bioart ‘products’ could be an additional way of exploring the theory and offer some new chunky stuff... Anyway, it’s not final and expected to change.

On the question of how I view the place of technology in my art/work/research and what impact being a women has on the above: Technology for me in my art is tool in some ways and subject in other ways – and this I think reflects how heavily entwined we already are with technology. These elements of tool and subject are also linked to each other now and are becoming difficult to separate - exploring this in my new artistic endeavours where we are trying (with Adam Fiannaca my new collaborator) to create a lab in our kitchen using domestic objects only and fashioning new hybrid equipment so that ‘science’ is implied and blurred with domesticity. As a woman, all this has obvious implications but through my collaborations I feel that in my own work it places more emphasis on gender rather than feminism – I know there are those connections and drives into gender theory but this is changing and reforming in interesting ways surely! The masculinist may have something to say about himself in a 'domesticity and science' setting...now that I find interesting! Anyway, access for women in science and bioart has a way to go (the most talked about visual in bioart/science when I did my residency was of a pregnant artist in the lab! That says it all). I find that digital and electronic access and acceptance of women in new media is far more advanced and almost expected with the arts now - where will it go??!!. Anyways – rambling :) Looking forward to chatting and sharing back and forth with everyone :)

my website

mine & Adams
blog for IncuBra

No comments: